Our new Manage Students feature builds on the success of our popular Add Students feature. In addition to adding students to a domain by sending them an email invitation, you can now register new and existing students into one or more courses.
This article provides instructions on how to do this as an admin, as well as an overview of the student experience. To get started, visit the Students page on your dashboard:
From the Students page, click on the Manage Students button in the upper right:
Doing so will take you to the following page:
From there, you have several options. Let's start with the first.
- Add new students to your domain
- Add new students and register them in courses
- Select existing students and register them in courses
Add new students to your domain
Adding new students to one of your domains is a simple three-step process: selecting the domain, entering email addresses, and clicking submit.
If your organization has only one domain, that will be displayed. If your organization has multiple domains, you will have the opportunity to select one from a dropdown.
Enter email addresses
At this point, you are able to enter the email addresses for the students you would like to add. Enter one email address per line as shown below:
Once you have entered the email addresses successfully, click the Submit button.
(Note: Adding students here will give those students access to that domain, regardless of domain access level. For more information about domain access, see this article.)
Add new students and register them in courses
If you would also like to register your new students in classes, you can do so by checking the "Register students in courses" box prior to clicking Submit. The list of published courses for that domain will then be displayed:
Using the drag and drop selector, you can then select one or more courses to register your new students in.
Select existing students and register them in courses
You can also select existing students and register them in courses. To do this, choose the "Select existing" option from the dropdown menu under Students:
The list of students for that domain will then be displayed. From there, you can select existing students using the drag and drop selector and, using the same steps described above, select one or more courses to register those students in.
Whether you added new students to your domain, added new students and registered them in courses, or selected existing students and registered them in courses, after clicking Submit you will be directed back to the Students page:
(Note: Depending on the size of your request, those students may be listed in the Students table immediately or it might take a few minutes. For newly invited students, only the email and signed up fields will be complete. Other fields, like student name, will remain empty until the students complete their registration.)
You will then receive an email like this one confirming the results of your request:
The Students section of the email will display the number of students who have been invited, re-invited, or skipped as appropriate. The Courses section will display the number of new course registrations and the number of registrations skipped.
As an admin, you can trust the Manage Students feature to parse your request and do the right thing for that student or course. For example:
- If you add students who have already been added but have not yet completed their registration process, those students will be re-invited.
- If you add students who have been added before and have already completed their registration process, those students will be skipped.
- If you register students in courses they are already registered in, those registration requests will be skipped.
Once you click Submit, each student will receive a customized email.
- If the student has been invited to a domain, the email will contain a link to complete the registration process.
- If the student has been registered in one or more courses, the email will contain links to the appropriate courses.
- If the student has been invited to a domain and registered in one or more courses, the email will contain both.
Here's an example of an email to a newly added student:
And here's an email to a newly added student that was also registered in two courses:
When newly students follow the link, they will be taken to a page like the one below and prompted to complete their registration and sign in.
(Note: If you have Single Sign-On enabled, students will prompted to prompted to log in through the SSO mechanism. For more information about SSO, see this article.)
Related help articles:
- Introduction to your training portal
- Adding a user to your admin account
- Live Training: Manually adding and removing users
- Live Training: Bulk adding users to an event