Create manual and automatic course re-enrollments to allow students to revisit your training content after a set period of time. In this article, we'll explain how to enable re-enrollment settings and rules, such as managing enrollment expirations and carrying over previous course progress.
Some Customers require students to retake yearly certification exams or to refresh compliance training on a regular basis. With our enrollment settings, Skilljar makes it easy for instructors to establish re-enrollment rules for courses that require students to revisit content after a set period of time. Skilljar offers the ability for students to be automatically re-enrolled in a course or to do so manually.
Setting an Enrollment Expiration
Enabling the re-enrollment of students in a course either manually or automatically first requires that an enrollment expiration period be set. This setting tells Skilljar that after the specified period of time, and regardless of whether a student has completed the given course or not, the student's enrollment will be reset.
*Without an enrollment expiration, students who have completed the course will be unable to manually re-enroll in a course and establish new course completion data in Skilljar, unless their enrollment record is manually updated by a Skilljar admin or via the Skilljar API. Automatic Re-enrollment will occur even if their previous enrollment has not expired. (*See Important Notes below for more information)
- Note: Enrollment access expires at 11.59 pm in your chosen timezone. See the steps below for more details.
To set up an access expiration date:
- Go to your Skilljar Dashboard, expand the Domains & Publishing header, and select Domains to open the Domains page.
- Find the domain you want to manage and select Published Courses.
- Find the course you wish to enable for re-enrollment, then select the course title link to get to the course's publishing settings page.
- Scroll down to Enrollment Settings and the Expiration section
- Enter the course access expiration period in months or days.
- Note: After this time has passed, students will lose access to the course and will have to re-enroll in order to take it again.
- Select the expiration Timezone from the drop-down menu. For example, if you select America/Los Angeles as your timezone, course access will expire according to that timezone, regardless of where the student is.
- Under Start & End Dates, choose the month, day, and time window for when the course registration Starts at and Ends at. Select the box to open a calendar or enter the dates manually.
- Example: If the course registration window ends on July 23rd, 2022 at 11.59 pm, the box should read “07/23/2022 23:59” in the Ends at box.
- Note: This is optional. If left blank, the registration window will be indefinite.
- When you’re finished, scroll down and select Save and Continue Editing or Save to apply your changes.
- After setting the access expiration date for enrollment, you have the option of specifying if you'd like Skilljar to automatically re-enroll students in the course. To enable this option, simply select the checkbox (shown below).
- Once enabled, you'll set a Start Cycle date and a monthly or daily repeat schedule. In the example below, the re-enrollment cycle will begin for all registered users on May 1st, 2020 and repeat every 12 months. This means that beginning on May 1st, 2020 any users enrolled in the course will be automatically re-enrolled in 12 months.
Note: When Automatic Re-enrollment is enabled, regardless of whether their existing enrollment has expired or been de-activated, students will be re-enrolled in that course. This is different behavior from the manual approach to re-enrollment, which does require the expiration of the original enrollment.
Setting Course Progress Option
Once establishing an enrollment expiration period, and/or allowing for automatic re-enrollment in a course, the last step is to select the appropriate Course Progress option. This option tells Skilljar to either refresh and establish new course completion data or to keep pre-existing completion data without updating it to reflect any newly created completion data.
In cases where students are required to refresh compliance training or certification training every so often, it's important for instructors to select the first option to create a new course progress data point each time a student enrolls in the course. The option is highlighted in the screenshot below:
By selecting this option, Skilljar will report on both the new registration date and the new completion date which instructors can use to confirm that students have in fact renewed their certification or compliance status for the given period.
By selecting the second option, Skilljar will report on the new registration date, while the completion date will maintain the original completion date.
- Customers have two additional options for triggering re-enrollments for a course in lieu of setting an enrollment expiration date:
- Using the Skilljar API
- Manually, by making individual students' course enrollments inactive through the Student enrollment page:
- Please contact your Customer Success Manager or email@example.com for more information on how to set up re-enrollments using these two methods