Some Customers require students to retake yearly certification exams, or to refresh compliance training on a regular basis. With our Enrollment Settings, Skilljar makes it easy for instructors to establish re-enrollment rules for those courses that require students to revisit content after a set period of time.
This article outlines how to enable those re-enrollment rules.
Please note that updating these settings still currently requires students to manually re-enroll in the given course.
Setting an Enrollment Expiration
Enabling students to re-enroll in a course first requires that an enrollment expiration period be set. This setting tells Skilljar that after the specified period of time, and regardless of whether a student has completed the given course or not, the student's enrollment will be reset.
*Without an enrollment expiration, students who have completed the course will be unable to re-enroll and establish new course completion data in Skilljar, unless their enrollment record is manually updated by a Skilljar admin or via the Skilljar API. (*See Important Notes below for more information)
To set up an enrollment expiration date:
- From within Domains & Publishing find to the course you wish to enable for re-enrollment, then select Edit to get to the course publishing page.
- Scroll to the Enrollment Settings>Enrollment Expiration section as shown below:
- Specify the expiration period for the course. Note that the period term can be in either Months or Days. In the above example, 12 months after first registering for the course students will have to re-enroll in order to take the course again.
Course Progress Options
Once establishing an enrollment expiration period that allows students to re-enroll in a course, the last step is to select the appropriate Course Progress option. This option tells Skilljar to either refresh and establish new course completion data, or to keep pre-existing completion data without updating to reflect any newly created completion data.
In cases where students are required to refresh compliance training or certification training every so often, it's important for instructors to select the first option to create a new course progress data point each time a student enrolls in the course. The option is highlighted in the screenshot below:
By selecting this option, Skilljar will report on the new completion date which instructors can use to confirm that students have in fact renewed their certification or compliance status for the given period.
- Customers have two additional options for triggering re-enrollments for a course in lieu of setting an enrollment expiration date:
- Using the Skilljar API
- Manually, by making individual students' course enrollments inactive through the Student enrollment page:
- Please contact your Customer Success Manager, or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to set up re-enrollments using these two methods