You can require students to complete each lesson in sequential order before progressing to the next lesson. You can activate sequential lesson completion from the course settings in your Skilljar dashboard.
The student experience is pictured below:
Note: If you include a quiz that requires a passing score, the student must pass the quiz before continuing to the next lesson or completing the course.
To activate this feature:
Go to your Skilljar dashboard and follow these steps.
- Select Course Management.
- Select the course you want to manage.
- Select the Details tab.
- Scroll down and select the Settings header to expand it for more options.
- Scroll down to Lesson Navigation and select Enforce sequential navigation.
5. Select Save to apply the changes.
Can students revisit and review sequential lessons after completion?
Students can review previously completed lessons with enforced sequential navigation if their enrollment is still active. They can also review the lessons in any order that they choose.
If the student's enrollment had expired but they have re-enrolled, their ability to review the previous lessons depends on the course's re-enrollment course progress settings.
- If "Create New Course Progress Each Time a Student Enrolled in a Course" is selected - The student must complete each lesson before moving on to the next.
- If "Students Will Continue With Their Existing Course Progress Each Time They Enroll in the Course" is selected - The student's lesson progress remains marked as complete, and they will be able to review the sequential lessons as they like.
You can read more about course re-enrollment settings at Enabling Manual or Automatic Course Re-Enrollments.
Note: If any assets in your course have the Sync completion status across courses option enabled, then the asset that the student has completed will be marked as complete when they re-enroll in the course again. This can impact sequential navigation, as the student may be able to see the lessons which are already marked as complete when they re-enroll.
You can read more about syncing asset completion at Syncing Asset Completion Across Courses.