The Live Training feature allows instructors to create an event for students to join a training on a scheduled day and time. In this article we'll review:
How it works for instructors:
Jump to a specific section:
- Creating a Live Training lesson
- Closing Registration for a Live Training Event
- Live Training Event Table
- Editing a Future Live Training Event after it is created
- Cloning a Live Training Event
- Deleting a Live Training Event
Instructors can create a live training event as a lesson in their course.
Creating a Live Training lesson:
- Navigate to Course Management
- Select the course in which you want to provide a live training
- Select "New lesson" and choose: Live Training
- Input your lesson details and click "Save"
- Then, click "New event" and input the event name, location, start and end times, available seats, instructor name, description. You can also associate tags.
- The Instructor field will take freeform entry with "instructor name <email address>" and it will present a dropdown with previously entered names or Instructors available from authenticated integration accounts via GoTo, Webex or Zoom:
- In the Tags section of the "Schedule Event" page:
- Type the tag(s) you want to add and associate with the event. Enter one tag per line; and/or
- Click the plus sign (+) in the Existing Tags section and select exisiting tag(s) you want to associate with the event.
- Click "Save"
- Optional: If you want to show a specific Live Training lesson's event date/times on your Course Detail page (seen to user pre-registration), scroll down to expand settings, check "Show on Detail Page" and "Save Lesson." See below for how this appears to users.
The steps above create one Live Training lesson event on your specified date and time. You can repeat steps 5 and 6 to add additional dates/times for the same lesson content, if you are offering the live training at multiple days/times.
You also have the ability to Clone an existing event, allowing you to duplicate and edit the event details as a separate Live Event within the lesson. See below for more details.
Students are able to register for more than one live training event in a single lesson. Learn more here.
If you create a Live Training lesson with a single Live Training event, you can use the course-level “Register In Single Event Live Training Lessons” setting to automatically register students for the single Live Training lesson event.
Closing Registration for a Live Training Event:
If you are looking to close registration for an event before it starts so that new students cannot register, you can update the event's Available Seats to Zero - This will not allow any new students to register but will still allow previously registered students to join the event when it starts.
Live Training Event Table
The Live Event Table will show you any Live Event that has been created for a lesson in a table format, allowing you to filter, sort, and search for a specific event. The default filter is set to show you all Future or upcoming events.
Admins can filter for “Past Events”, “Future Events”, “All Events”.
Each column is sortable. By clicking on the column label, you are able to rearrange events within the table to sort them by ascending or descending order. The sorting default is by “Start Time” ascending.
Editing a Future Live Training Event:
Clicking the Event Name in the first column of a Future Event takes you to the Event Details page and allows you to edit:
- Start Date/Time
- End Date/Time
- Total Seats (Optional)
- Post-Registration Instructions
Any changes made will need to be saved to take effect.
Cloning a Live Training Event:
Any Live Event (Future or Past) can be Cloned. This is especially useful if you are creating similar or recurring events. Clicking on the ellipses (...) in the far-right column of the event you wish to duplicate, and selecting 'Clone Event', will create a clone of the event and take you to the Event Details page of the new instance.
Here, you can edit any of the existing fields and Save the event. It will then show up as a new event in the Future/All Events view of your table.
Deleting a Live Training Event:
Any Live Event (Future or Past) can be Deleted. Click on the ellipses (...) in the far-right column of the event you wish to delete, and select 'Delete Event'.
After Clicking "Delete Event', you'll be asked if you want to continue. If you click 'Yes, I'm sure' the event will be removed from your table and the lesson will be automatically saved. If you click 'Go back' you will return to the lesson and the event will still be listed in your Live Event table.
Note: Upon successful deletion of an event, the instructor and any students that have already registered will receive email notification of the cancellation.
How it works for students:
Before registering for your course, a student can see the live events on your course details page (step 7 above). They can then self-register and self-cancel for the live training that works best for them. Users can download these events to their calendar and will receive email confirmations for any registrations and cancellations. Please note, students are not able to register for WebEx events after they have started, if a student attempts to do this, they will be met with an error message.
- From Course Details, users can see the available date/times for the lesson(s) (if completing step 7 above) under the About this Course heading, after your course's long description.
- Once they register for the course, in the live training lesson they will be able to select the time/date that works for them.
- When a user registers, they can download the calendar item for that event and will receive an email confirmation with event details.
- Users can cancel their registration, which allows them to choose a new event as needed and sends a cancellation email confirmation.
Email cancellation confirmation:
Things to consider:
- If a student launches the event from the training domain, the Live Event lesson will automatically be marked as 'attended'.
- After an event, in order to manually update attendance, as well as set scores, or success statuses, check out this article: Update Scores, Success Status, and Attendance for a Past Live Training Event
- If you have sequential navigation turned on for this course (where lessons must be taken in order), a user cannot proceed to the next lesson until they're marked attended.
- If the event date/time has passed, the event will no longer be listed for students to select.
- If you've reached the designated maximum seat total per event, the event will no longer be listed for students to select.
- Students will not be able to register for a course if there are no seats left in any live training lesson, and publishing settings have enforced a limited checkout quantity based on available live training lesson seats.
- While students typically self-register for live events, you can use our Add/Remove buttons from the dashboard to enlist or remove them on their behalf. Learn more.
- The ‘Launch Zoom Event’ button becomes available for students to click 3 minutes before the meeting is set to start.