You can enable search on any catalog page so that your users can easily find the training courses and lessons they need based on keywords they search.
In this article:
Understand catalog search
Students type keywords into the search bar on a catalog page and courses or lessons with matching words in their title, description, or tags will appear.
By clicking the checkmark, users can filter their search results by course or lesson.
Enable catalog search and search behavior
- From the “Domains & Publishing” dropdown in the Dashboard left navigation bar, click "Domains."
- Click the pen icon under “Catalog Settings” for the domain you’d like to edit search. You’ll be redirected to the Catalog Pages tab that lists all of your existing pages.
- In “Display Settings,” select one of the two search box display options to add the search feature on the course catalog:
- Display search box in the left nav.
- Display search box in the header.
- Do not display search box.
- Choose if you want the search behavior to be global search or local search:
- Global search: All visible objects on all visible pages are searchable.
- Local search: Only visible objects on this page are searchable.
- Click “Save and Continue Editing” or “Save.”
Optimize search results
Results are returned based on the: search keywords, course title, course short description, course long description, course tags,lesson titles, and lesson summaries. You can also limit your search to the catalog page instead of the entire domain.
We recommend taking time to add the relevant descriptors for each, including the keywords you think students will enter. Doing so will help your users find the courses quickly.
- Navigate to “Course Management” to update your course long and short description, lesson titles, and lesson summaries. Learn more: Adding Keywords to a Course or Lesson for Catalog Search Indexing.
Navigate to “Domains & Publishing” to add tags.