You can enable search on any catalog page so that your users can easily find the training courses, lessons, and paths they need based on keywords they search.
Understand catalog search
Students type keywords into the search bar on a catalog page and courses, lessons, or paths with matching words in their title, description, or tags will appear.
By clicking the checkmark, users can filter their search results by course, lesson, or path.
Enable catalog search and search behavior
- Go to your Skilljar Dashboard, and select Domains & Publishing, or expand the Domains & Publishing on the left, and select Domains.
- Find the domain with the catalog page you want to manage, select Catalog Pages, and then the catalog page name.
- On the next page, scroll down to Search Box, and select the search box display option of your choice. This will add the search box to the header or the left navigation bar of your catalog page.
Example of the search box in the header.
Example of the search box in the left nav.
- Choose if you want the search behavior to be a global search or a local search.
- Global search: All visible objects on all visible pages are searchable.
- Local search: Only visible objects on this page are searchable.
- When you're finished, scroll to the bottom of the page and Select Save or Save and Continue Editing.
Optimize search results
Results are returned based on the: search keywords, course title, course short description, course long description, course tags, lesson titles, lesson summaries, path titles and path short descriptions. You can also limit your search to the catalog page instead of the entire domain.
We recommend taking time to add the relevant descriptors for each, including the keywords you think students will enter. Doing so will help your users find the courses quickly.
- Go to “Course Management” to update your course long and short description, lesson titles, and lesson summaries. Learn more: Adding Keywords to a Course or Lesson for Catalog Search Indexing.
- Go to “Domains & Publishing” to add tags.