Our Prerequisites feature enables you to prevent students from registering for a course until they have successfully completed a specific course, group of courses, or complete one of the following courses. This article provides instructions on how to set prerequisites as an admin, as well as an overview of what your students will experience.
This is useful when Creating a Certificate for a Catalog Page.
- Expand the Domains and Publishing header on the left and select Domains to open a snapshot of your domains.
- Find the domain you want to manage and select Published Courses to be taken to a list of your published courses.
- Select the title of the course you want to edit to access its settings.
- Scroll down to the Prerequisites section, and check the box to Enforce Prerequisites For This Course. A multi-selector will display all of the published courses for that domain. Here, you can easily set one or more prerequisites for your course.
- Select one of the two options from the drop-down selection to set as prerequisites for a course:
- "Student must complete ALL selected courses to register for this course" (example: in order to Register for Course C the student must have completed Course A AND Course B.)
- "Student must complete ONE of the selected courses to register for this course" (example: in order to Register for Course C the student must have completed either Course A OR Course B.)
- Once you're finished selecting your prerequisites, select Save (or Save and Continue Editing to make more changes). Your prerequisites will be enforced.
Course prerequisites are enforced on registration:
- If a student has completed the necessary prerequisites, they are permitted to register for the course.
- If a student has not completed the necessary prerequisites, they are not permitted to register for the course.
In the latter case, a message will display informing the student of the prerequisites and providing links to the relevant course detail pages.
If "Student must complete ALL selected courses to register for this course" is selected:
You can select the order in which lessons must be completed before students can move on to the next one (you can do this from the course curriculum page within your Course Management settings). Students will still be able to see all the lessons from the course overview, but, they won’t be able to move on to the next lesson(s) until they’ve completed the previous lesson(s). If students select a lesson that’s not unlocked for them yet, they’ll receive a message saying “This item is locked until all prior lessons are complete.”
If "Student must complete ONE of the selected courses to register for this course" is selected:
If you would like to communicate prerequisites to potential students before they attempt to register, you can do so by including that information in the course description.