Learn how to integrate your Zoom accounts with Skilljar and how to create live training events within courses.
Linking Your Zoom Accounts with Skilljar
To begin your integration, you’ll need to have Zoom login information for each instructor you'd like to link to your Skilljar account.
- Log into the Skilljar Dashboard Zoom page: https://dashboard.skilljar.com/zoom/ Here you will link each of your instructor's Zoom accounts with Skilljar.
- Click on the Add Instructor button. You'll be redirected to Zoom and prompted to enter your Zoom user name and password.
- If you're already logged in, you will be asked to allow Skilljar to access your Zoom account. Click Approve. If you are not an Admin on your Zoom account, you will likely need to request pre-approval from your company's Zoom Admin.
- *Note: Instructor Name is managed in the profile settings of your Zoom account.
- You'll receive a confirmation that your Zoom instructor account was connected to Skilljar.
To add additional instructors, click the “Logout of Zoom” button in Skilljar and repeat steps 1 through 3.
- Important: If your Zoom password changes, you will need to re-authenticate the Zoom account within Skilljar. You can re-authenticate your Zoom account by removing the Instructor and repeating steps 1 through 3.
Your Zoom account(s) should now be connected and you're ready to begin creating Zoom events from within Skilljar.
* Note on the Zoom integration:
- The integration is not bi-directional, meaning that the live event details must be managed through Skilljar, rather than through Zoom. If changes to the event (meeting type or instructor) are made in Zoom, these changes will not be reflected in Skilljar and will lead to errors with the event.
* Note on the different Zoom account types:
- Skilljar differentiates between Basic, Pro, and Corporate Zoom accounts. For meetings scheduled on a Basic account, student registrations and attendance will not be recorded or available within Zoom. However, this information will be available within Skilljar. For all account types, Skilljar will track attendance when a student clicks the "Launch Zoom Event" button on the live event lesson page.
* Notes on tracking attendance:
- By default, students are able to launch the event 3 minutes prior to the event's listed start time. Students will not be able to successfully launch the event prior to the period. If you would like to adjust this window, allowing students to launch the event earlier than 3 minutes before the start time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Skilljar will not be able to track attendance unless the student accesses the Zoom event from the Skilljar lesson page (by clicking the Launch Event button).
Creating a Zoom Live Training Event in a Course
Once you’ve linked your Zoom account to Skilljar, you can begin creating events from within the Course Management section of the Dashboard.
To create a Live Training lesson:
- Navigate to Course Management
- Select the course in which you want to provide a live training
- Select "New lesson" and choose: Live Training
- Input your lesson details and click "Save"
- Click "New event" and select Zoom, then input the event name, location, start and end times, available seats, instructor name and description.
- The Instructor field will accept freeform entry with "instructor name <email address>" and it will present a dropdown with previously entered names or Instructors available from your authenticated Zoom account:
- Click "Save"
- Optional: If you want to show a specific Live Training lesson's event date/times on your Course Detail page (seen to user pre-registration), scroll down to expand settings, check "Show on Detail Page" and "Save Lesson." See below for how this appears to users.
The steps above create one Live Training lesson event on your specified date and time. You can repeat steps 5 and 6 to add additional dates or times for the same lesson content, if you are offering the live training at multiple days/times.
Changing the Instructor on a Zoom Live Event
The Skilljar Platform now allows its Dashboard Admins to update the Zoom Instructor on the Live Event page. The steps to update the Instructor are as follows:
- Navigate to Course Management
- Select the course in which you want to update the existing Live Training Event
- Open the Live Training Lesson and select the edit icon for the event you are looking to update
- Scroll down to the instructor dropdown, and adjust as needed
Please note: We recommend changing the instructor on an event prior to removing the prior instructor from the Zoom integration.
As of July 13, 2021, Skilljar has disabled the sending of all Zoom registration confirmations, registration cancellation notifications, event update notifications, and cancellation notification emails through our integration with Zoom. Zoom will still be able to send Webinar reminders to students if this is enabled through Zoom.
If you prefer to leverage Zoom emails, please reach out to email@example.com and we will enable that for you.
What emails will my students receive when a Zoom instructor is changed or updated?
When the instructor is changed on the event, we create a new Zoom event with the new instructor as host and the new start time as the start time of the event. Skilljar does not send a notification to the registrants that the instructor has changed. When the time of the event changes, Skilljar will send email notifications to the registrants.
What happens when the authenticated Zoom account isn’t active anymore, e.g. because the instructor has left the company?
If a Zoom instructor is removed solely from your Zoom instance (not in Skilljar), the admin experience will change, preventing you from being able to delete the Zoom event associated with this deleted instructor or removing attendees from a past/present/future event from the Live Event Roll Call page associated with that Zoom instructor.
If you know a Zoom instructor is leaving soon, be sure to update the instructor in Skilljar before deleting their Zoom account!
Will Skilljar notify instructors when added to a Live Training Lesson?
There is an option in the Lesson Settings that, when enabled (default behavior is enabled), will send a notification to Instructors from Skilljar letting them know that they have been added to a Live Training Event or if any changes are made to that event. See setting for ‘Email Instructor When Added to Event And For Event Updates.'
To navigate there: Course Management > Course > Curriculum > Live Training Lesson > Lesson Settings.
Updating Zoom Account Settings
Zoom is releasing additional controls related to the password settings for Zoom meetings and webinars.
- Currently, while Zoom users can enable passwords for participants on a meeting-by-meeting basis, they are not able to do so at the account level. With the update, Zoom is adding this functionality at the account, group, and user level, and enabling it by default.
- Zoom has stated that, for most meeting attendees, the join flow will remain the same, whether they join by clicking a link in a meeting invite (how students launch from Skilljar) or join through the desktop calendar integration. Users who join by manually entering in the meeting ID will need to enter the password when joining a meeting.
- The "require password for participants" setting will apply to newly scheduled meetings and instant meetings. Please note: this will not apply to any meetings previously scheduled through the Skilljar Integration.
- More information about this new release can be found on Zoom's support article here: Account Setting Update: Password Default for Meeting and Webinar
- Prior to September 21, if you are a Zoom account owner or admin, please log into your Zoom account. You will see a banner on the Zoom web portal, which will allow you to update your preference on having the settings disabled upon the release. Please DECLINE updating your Zoom account settings.
- After September 22, if you are a Zoom account owner or admin, please log into your Zoom account. Navigate to your account settings and please disable the default settings to require a password.
- If you are not a Zoom account owner or Admin, please share this recommendation with the appropriate contact, and have them DECLINE updating your Zoom account Settings.
- Turning off this new require password default setting will ensure there are no disruptions to your Skilljar - Zoom integration for the live events you and your team members schedule after September 22.
Note on seat limit:
- If you create your Zoom Live Training Event in Skilljar and your students access the event through Skilljar, the Skilljar total seat limit will be respected. If you create the Zoom Live Training Event outside of Skilljar and your students access the Zoom event outside of Skilljar, the Skilljar seat limit will not be respected.
- If you create a Zoom Live Training Event that has a seat limit set within Zoom, that seat limit will need to match what's entered into Skilljar (i.e. if the seat limit in Zoom is set to 100 and you attempt to enter 101 into Skilljar, you'll run into an error message).
Note on Removing Scheduled Events:
- In the event that you need to remove a Live Training Event from Skilljar, please be sure to remove that event from Skilljar directly via the Live Training dashboard, as opposed to from within Zoom.
If you are leveraging Zoom emails (please note, this is not default behavior through Skilljar's Zoom integration), you can make specific changes to the emails Zoom sends by following the below recommendations.
- For Zoom Meetings, you can disable registration confirmation emails sent from Zoom at the individual meeting level.
- Log in to Zoom.us. From My Meetings, select the event and click Edit this meeting. Uncheck the option for "Registration: Required" and Save.
- Additionally, from the Event details page, you can disable the "Confirmation Email to Registrants" from the Email Settings. From My Meetings, select the Event. Scroll down to the Email Settings section and click the "Edit" option for the Confirmation Email to Registrants. Uncheck "Send Confirmation Email to Registrants" and click Save.
- For Zoom Webinars, you can disable registration confirmation emails at the Zoom account level by visiting: Webinar Settings when logged in. Select the "Webinar Settings" from left nav panel in your Zoom account. Scroll to the Email Settings section and click "Edit" to disable Confirmation Email to Registrants.
Troubleshooting Zoom Errors
If you're running into any errors while managing your Zoom live training events, you can test your Zoom account authentication as a first troubleshooting step.
- Navigate to your Zoom Settings Page
- Click Test Connection next to your account:
This will prompt a dialog box with a status message.
- If you receive a "Connection Unsuccessful" message, you'll want to delete that instructor account, then re-add that account by following the steps on the Zoom Settings Page.
- If the dialog message is "Connection Successful", feel free to reach out to Skilljar Product Support with screenshots of any error messages you're running into in the dashboard.
Exceeded Limit on number of Meetings created/Updated per day
Zoom has a limit on the number of API created/updated meetings per organization per day. if you exceed this limit, then you may not be able to create more meetings until the next calendar day. This is a limit on Zoom's API and not something that can be controlled by Skilljar at this point.