Understanding what student actions trigger the completion of quiz lessons types helps you review analytics with more clarity.
Note: Quiz lesson types require a student to be logged in to the training site in order for the quiz lesson to function.
In this article:
Quiz lesson completion
- By default, a quiz lesson will be marked as complete when the student submits the quiz.
- By default, to submit a quiz, a student needs to answer every question and any score (even a failing one) will complete the lesson (see this help article for more details on quiz settings).
- If you have required a passing score on the quiz settings, a student needs to meet or exceed the passing score in order for the quiz lesson to be marked as complete.
- If you have added a max number of attempts that the student can take the quiz and the student failed all attempts, the lesson will not be marked as complete, unless an administrator manually marks the lesson as complete.
- If you have selected Disable Automatic Completion in the lesson’s settings, to complete the lesson you must either:
- Manually mark the lesson complete. Learn more: Editing a Student's Lesson or Course Progress.
- Use an API to mark lessons as complete based on actions outside of your system, such as a custom simulation or tutorial. Learn More: Marking Lessons Complete from External Services.
Default lesson completion behavior
For most content types (Text Lesson, Embedded content, etc.), a lesson will be marked as complete as soon as the first time the lesson page loads. We will review the specifics for each lesson type in the related articles.
For all lesson types, there are settings and variables that can override the default behavior.
- At a course level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Details > Settings: Lesson Navigation, you can choose to Mark Lessons Complete When Audio or Video is Done.
- At an individual lesson level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Curriculum > Individual Lesson > Settings, you can choose to Disable Automatic Completion.
- If you choose to disable automatic completion, there are a few options for completing these lessons on behalf of your students:
- Dashboard: An admin can mark the lesson complete in the student’s profile page of the dashboard. Learn more: Editing a Student's Lesson or Course Progress.
- API calls: You or your development team can write API calls can to mark a specific lesson complete in Skilljar based on an outside trigger (e.g. doing a task in your application). Learn More: Marking Lessons Complete from External Services