Understanding what student actions trigger the completion of live training lessons helps you review analytics with more clarity.
In this article:
- Default lesson completion behavior
- Live training lesson completion
Default lesson completion behavior
For most content types (Text Lesson, Embedded content, etc.), a lesson will be marked as complete as soon as the first time the lesson page loads. We will review the specifics for each lesson type in the related articles.
For all lesson types, there are settings and variables that can override the default behavior.
- At a course level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Details > Settings: Lesson Navigation, you can choose to Mark Lessons Complete When Audio or Video is Done.
- At an individual lesson level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Curriculum > Individual Lesson > Settings, you can choose to Disable Automatic Completion.
- If you choose to disable automatic completion, there are a few options for completing these lessons on behalf of your students:
- Dashboard: An admin can mark the lesson complete in the student’s profile page of the dashboard. Learn more: Editing a Student's Lesson or Course Progress.
- API calls: You or your development team can write API calls can to mark a specific lesson complete in Skilljar based on an outside trigger (e.g. doing a task in your application). Learn More: Marking Lessons Complete from External Services
Live training lesson completion
Live Training: Default Calendar
- Attendance is not tracked in an automated fashion. The instructor must mark student as attended (“Mark Attended”) via the dashboard for the student’s lesson to be completed. Learn more: Adding Scores and Attendance in Live Training.
- If the event date/time has passed, the event will no longer be listed for students to select. Therefore, students will not have a live training event to pick from and the lesson will not be marked as complete, unless an administrator manually marks the lesson as complete.
- If you’ve reached the designated maximum number of seats for the event prior to the student registering for the live training, the event will no longer be listed for students to select. Therefore, students will not have a live training event to pick from and the lesson will not be marked as complete, unless an administrator manually marks the lesson as complete.
Live Training: Zoom Meeting / Zoom Webinar
For all account types (Basic, Pro, Corporate Zoom accounts), Skilljar will mark the live training lesson complete and the student “attended” when the student clicks the “Launch Zoom Event” button on the live event lesson page. While student registrations and attendance will not be recorded or available within Zoom for meetings scheduled on a Zoom Basic account, this information will be available within Skilljar. Users who join from outside Skilljar will not be marked as attended within Skilljar.
Live Training: WebEx Integration
Skilljar will mark the live training lesson complete when the student clicks the “Join WebEx Event” button on the live event lesson page. The lesson will be completed and updated attendance information will typically be available 2-3 hours after a WebEx event ends.
Live Training: GoToTraining / GoTo Webinar
Skilljar will mark the live training lesson complete and the student “attended” within about 10-30 minutes after the end of the scheduled event end time. Attendance (and thus, lesson completion) are harvested by calling the GoTo API to see who has attended.
Live Training: GoToMeeting
Skilljar will mark the live training lesson complete when the student clicks “Launch GoTo Event” and the GoTo meeting ends. Users who join from outside Skilljar will not be marked as attended within Skilljar.