Understanding what student actions trigger the completion of SCORM lessons helps you review analytics with more clarity.
In this article:
Default lesson completion behavior
For most content types (Text Lesson, Embedded content, etc.), a lesson will be marked as complete as soon as the first time the lesson page loads. We will review the specifics for each lesson type in the related articles.
For all lesson types, there are settings and variables that can override the default behavior.
- At a course level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Details > Settings: Lesson Navigation, you can choose to Mark Lessons Complete When Audio or Video is Done.
- At an individual lesson level in Courses > Individual Course > Course Curriculum > Individual Lesson > Settings, you can choose to Disable Automatic Completion.
- If you choose to disable automatic completion, there are a few options for completing these lessons on behalf of your students:
- Dashboard: An admin can mark the lesson complete in the student’s profile page of the dashboard. Learn more: Editing a Student's Lesson or Course Progress.
- API calls: You or your development team can write API calls can to mark a specific lesson complete in Skilljar based on an outside trigger (e.g. doing a task in your application). Learn More: Marking Lessons Complete from External Services
SCORM 1.2 / Web Package lesson completion
Specifically for SCORM, we will rely on the SCORM publishing settings to make the SCORM lesson as complete when the module sends us a "complete", "failed", or "passed" lesson_status event.