The Zoom Platform, as of September 27th, 2020, requires either the use of a Waiting Room or a Passcode when accessing a meeting. This means that for meetings that do not have either a Passcode or Waiting Room enabled by September 27th, Zoom will enable a Waiting Room.
The Skilljar - Zoom Integration allows for use of a Waiting Room or a Passcode. Learn how the Skilljar Integration handles this behavior below.
Skilljar & Zoom Waiting Room
The Skilljar Platform currently supports the Zoom Waiting Room feature. Below are several recommended settings to enable within your Zoom account.
- All Zoom users should lock the 'Waiting Room' option to ensure that instructors can't activate the passcode option. An admin needs to click on the padlock icon next to the waiting room option to lock it.
- If Zoom users do not want to use the waiting room option for all employees, they can utilize Zoom's group function and create a group just for instructors with the waiting room turned on and locked.
Zoom Waiting Room Experience for Students and Administrators
Admin experience: The option to 'Admit All' is offered whenever there is more than one user in the waiting room.
Admin experience: Admins will see a small pop-up when students enter the waiting room and the 'Participants' panel isn't open.
Skilljar & Zoom Passcode:
The Skilljar Platform supports the Zoom Passcode feature. Below are several recommended settings to enable within your Zoom account.
Required settings to support Passcodes:
In your Zoom Admin Portal,
- Turn off the "Waiting Room" setting
- Turn on and lock the "Meeting Passcode" setting - if you don't lock the setting (padlock icon), Zoom will not allow Skilljar to create Zoom Meetings with a passcode. Please ask a Zoom Portal Administrator to lock the setting if you don't have access to this.
- Turn on and lock the "Webinar Passcode" setting - if you don't lock the setting (padlock icon), Zoom will not allow Skilljar to create Zoom Webinars with a passcode. Please ask a Zoom Portal Administrator to lock the setting if you don't have access to this.
- Turn on and lock 'Embed passcode in invite link for one-click join.' Please note, if this setting is turned off, students will not be able to access the meetings.
- A Zoom Portal Administrator needs to lock the settings so that instructors cannot de-select the options. To do this, an Administrator needs to click on the little padlock icon next to the setting.
- If your administrator is concerned about locking these options for the whole Zoom organization, they can create a group that contains all your instructors and only lock the options for these instructors. All users in this group will be limited to use passcodes in all their Zoom Meetings and Webinars. This is a limitation on Zoom side. Skilljar cannot create meetings with passcode access without locking the settings.
Student Experience for Passcode:
After clicking on "Launch Event", the student is added to the event immediately without being placed in a waiting room. The student will not need to enter a passcode to join the event. Skilljar uses the event URL that has the passcode embedded. Please note that there might be an additional registration step when students join a Zoom Webinar.